How to Use the Library Catalog
Sorting the Catalog List
To sort the list, click on a column header (Call Number, Title, Author). A black arrow, pointing either up (ascending) or down (descending), will appear next to the header title. Click the black arrow to switch from up to down. The Actions column has eyeballs. Click on the eyeball to get additional details, such as categories, on a title.
Printing the List You Just Sorted
To print the list you sorted, click on the green PDF List button in the grey box at the top right of the list.
Using Filters to Search the Library Catalog
To filter your search for a more manageable list of books:
1. Click on the drop-down arrow for "Subject", "Surnames", "Location", "Media Type", "New Additions" or "Donors".
2. Click on a specific category in the drop-down list to further filter and narrow your search.
3. You can sort the new list you just created (see paragraph above on Sorting).
4. You can print the new list you just created (see paragraph above on Printing).
5. Clear your search by clicking on the "broom" icon. Tip: when you do this, the complete library listing will re-appear.
Search by Call Number, Title, Author, All Listed Fields
To begin your search:
1. Click on the drop-down arrow for "Search" to choose "Author", "Call Number", "Title" or "All Listed Fields".
2. In the For box, enter the corresponding information (i.e., if searching by Author, enter the Author's name). Tip: you don't need to enter the entire title of a book.
3. Then, click the "magnifying glass" icon to start your search.
4. You can also sort the new list you just created (see paragraph above on Sorting).
5. You can also print the new list you just created (see paragraph above on Printing).
6. Clear your search by clicking on the "broom" icon. Tip: when you do this, the complete library listing will re-appear.
- Books with call numbers containing an asterisk (for example 973 X23f 1930* ) are located in the wooden file cabinet and oversized books are on the last shelf in the series of book cases in the Library – helpful to know this in case you plan to visit the Library.
- To access books online at the familysearch.org website, choose 'Media Type' in the Library catalog and 'Digitized Books' for a listing.
- Books with the call number 929.273 are in storage but available by request to ve viewed in the library or for circulation. Ask a library volunteer for assistance.
- Federal Census indexes for selected states: these books are also on a bottom shelf, on the east wall.
If you would like to print or download the above instructions, click HERE
GVGS' ever-growing online library catalog now includes an extensive collection of periodicals. While the periodicals are not indexed by articles (which can be done using PERSI from the Allen County Library) they are easily searchable by publication title and date of issue. You can also bring up a complete list of the periodicals by clicking on the "Media Type" filter and selecting "Periodical". Each periodical listed will include the month/year of each issue we have, and how many periodicals of that title we have. A good suggestion would be to review a dozen or so of the periodical you're interested in to see what gems they contain. Periodicals may not be checked-out.